Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It's Meat Sauce, Bolognese if you're nasty.

I was particularly hungry after the gym yesterday so I decided to whip up some home made meat sauce. I ended up freezing some and saving some for for another meal later in the week. I started things up with chopping up the onions and the garlic. I gently sauteed them in the large saucepan I'd be using. When they were nice and soft I put in the turkey meat. I browned this and broke it up as it cooked. Now is a good time to add some of the seasonings.

Make sure the turkey is cooked all the way through add the canned tomato ingredients. Let this simmer until it is nice and thick, this shouldn't take too long. The juices from the meat and the canned tomatoes make it pretty runny, so this is important. Taste a bit of the sauce, if you think it needs salt add salt. If it's bland, add some more pepper and oregano.

I had this over just a little bit of linguine. It was very tasty! I would have spent more time caramelizing the onions next time though. It was a bit of a rush job. I have plenty of left overs too. This is a good sauce because if you make it nice and chunky you'll end up eating less pasta and more of the lean protein. Which is good for you or something.

  • 1 lb of lean ground turkey meat
  • 2 small onions
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • Pepper, Salt, Oregano, Thyme (to taste)
  • Olive oil
  • 2 small cans of diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
  • 1 tiny can of tomato paste
  • Pasta of your choice

No comments:

Post a Comment